Here are some recent projects Iâ€™ve completed or advised:
- Knight Digital Media Center. I help plan leadership programs for journalists, news executives and news entrepreneurs, and I write a blog, Leadership 3.0, for the center at the Annenberg School for Communication at the University of Southern California.
- John S. and James L. Knight Foundation. Iâ€™m working with Knight on an online network that will enable graduates of Knight-sponsored journalism training programs to connect with journalism organizations in need of volunteers. Stay tuned for a launch in late 2008. I also am a â€œcircuit riderâ€ with the Knight Community Information Challenge.
- News University and the Poynter Institute. I helped develop online modules for frontline editors for News University in 2006 and 2007. I have been an Ethics Fellow and guest faculty in leadership at Poynter.
- â€œNews, Improved: How Americaâ€™s Newsrooms Are Learning to Changeâ€ is a book I co-wrote with Tim Porter about organizational development and culture change in a new media landscape.
- Jump Start Cambodia is an effort to bring XO laptops to children in a village where I live part-time in the Kien Svay district of Cambodia.
- Nieman Journalism Lab. I was a development consultant in 2007 and 2008 on this collaborative attempt to figure out how quality journalism can survive and thrive in the Internet age. The Lab launched in October 2008.
- â€œThe Newspaper Credibility Handbook,â€ looks at ways newsrooms can interact more effectively with readers. I wrote the book and co-wrote a discussion guide with Bob Steele of the Poynter Institute. The book was published in 2001 by the American Society of Newspaper Editors.